Jul 24, 2019

A Personal Con-"Stress"-ion



Philippians 4:6-7


Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Confession Time

I’ve been a little stressed out lately. Maybe that’s an understatement. You know how we are. My wife is worried about me. I’m on four different blood pressure medications, but it has nothing to do with the job. I think.    
       Last summer at this time I was alone at a friend’s house in Hawaii hunting Axis Deer, enjoying the Beach, and reading through the New Testament. 
       I believe this summer is a hinge-point for our ministry. In the fall we’re releasing book one in a new small group series called Men in the Arena. On July 4 we launched our 180 Campaign, a fundraising campaign to increase our staff team and update our physical resources by raising $180,000 in 180 days. We are weeks away from a new website launch with an amazing online forum for men who’ve rejected social media. In the fall we are launching ten Virtual Teams so men can be discipled all around the country even if they are not connected to any local resources. We’re working hard to promote the only Iron Sharpens Iron Conference (April 4, 2020) in the Northwest. Not to mention the daily operations of an already growing ministry to men. 


A Full Life

Life is full. Life is good. I’m not complaining—just sharing the facts. 
       We love to brag about how busy we are as if it were a badge of honor among men. It is not. It’s a sin that pulls us away from Jesus who said, “I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly” (John 10:10b). 
        The goal is a full, not busy life.
        Lately, my life has been busy; thus, my confession—rather my con-stress-ion.
        We walk a very fine line between the full and busy life. This difference is where our life is centered during the storms. In the past months, I’ve focused on the task at hand, which has led me to where I am, stressed.


Made for This

During a recent Men in the Arena Podcast, Founder and President of Iron Sharpens Iron Men’s Conferences Brian Doyle said something I’ll never forget. In his matter-of-fact way, he plainly stated, “Men are made for pressure.”
I believe this is true. But why is it true? And, what is the point of pressure if it only leads to a stressed-out life?

Pressure Point

Pressure points us back to Jesus. Pressure in the juncture where we can choose to either trust in self as a secular humanist would, or trust in Jesus as we passionately pursue Him. Pressure, is that fork in the road that compels a choice to be made.
I know what I’ve chosen. How about you?
I’m “Fixing (my) eyes on Jesus, the “author and perfecter of faith” (Hebrews 12:2a). I’m choosing life over death. I’m choosing a full life over a stressed one. I’m choosing Jesus over myself.