Feb 27, 2019

Words of a Patriarch



A bright cloud overshadowed them, and behold, a voice out of the cloud said, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.”
                                                                          ~Matthew 17:5


All college freshmen football players went through the same two initiation rituals. Without going into details, the last night involved wearing shorts and shoes only, being blindfolded, and driven to an unknown location in South San Jose, California. There, 80 teammates surrounded twenty frightened “rookies” as we circled around a fetid trashcan—our ground zero. Two weeks of fermented cafeteria fluids evolved before us in a concoction creatively named, “The Emulsion”. Rancid salad dressing, oatmeal, deep fryer oil, cottage cheese, oatmeal, milk, and syrup among other creative ingredients elicited gag responses from several, as our senses inhaled the odoriferous extravaganza!
         Each rookie had three ladles poured over his head, and in each side of his shorts as our veteran teammates sung Aerosmith’s, “Sweet Emotion” with a slight word change to the chorus. We were forced to run several miles to an unknown dorm location while being chased by eggs, tomatoes, and various fruits.
         The smell stayed on our stained bodies for days after. I know this because I threw shoes and shorts away!
         As men, we pour words over those we love daily. Like the ladle in my story, our words are a magic wand that has the power to bless or curse, launch or lockdown, empower or embitter, and redeem or wreck. A patriarch wields the power of life and death in his words.
         This became real this summer. I’d read it 1000 times before. It was recorded at the Transfiguration of Jesus in all three Synoptic (similar) Gospels. It was said at Jesus’ baptism. In fact, two out of the three times the Father spoke publicly to Jesus he said virtually the same thing.
         But I never personalized it. I’d been so busy looking out of my reading glasses I neglected to look in the mirror.
         In Matthew 17:5 the Father speaks some key things over Jesus, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased.” Here, Yahweh unleashes men to bless their children.
         First, unconditionally affirm that your children and grandchildren belong to you. “You are my son! You are my daughter! You belong to me! We are your people. With us you are safe and secure. ”
         Second, be boring by saying and showing “I love you”. Stop and text those three powerful words right now, though it may be awkward at first. Those three words should be said so often it gets routine, boring, and comfortable. Make them your last words every time. Leave no regrets when the day comes to say your last, “I love you”.
         Lastly, it’s a patriarch’s honor to build your lineage. Be on the lookout for moments when you can affirm and bless. Be an opportunity hunter. Tell your daughters how beautiful they are. Tell your sons how proud you are. Tell your grandchildren how talented they are.
         Pour words of life over those looking to you as their patriarch.